Follow these steps to manage paint
- Buy the correct amount of paint for the project
When you purchase the right amount of paint, it eliminates the need to store, recycle or dispose of paint when the project is finished.2. Recycle empty metal and plastic paint cans Empty, dried-out metal or plastic paint cans should be recycled curbside in your blue single-stream recycling cart.
- Store paint to keep it fresh & use up leftover paint
For best results, cover the opening of the paint can with plastic wrap, securely seal the lid, then turn the can upside down and store in a place with moderate room temperature to avoid freezing. Properly stored leftover paint can be used for touch-ups or small projects.
- If you can’t use it up, drop-off paint at PaintCare program retail locations: for residents and businesses.
Households and CESQG* businesses can use the retail sites below. Larger businesses – those that generate more than 27 gallons of hazardous waste per month – can use the PaintCare sites for water-based program products only, not oil-based program products.
* Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG) businesses are those that generate less than 27 gallons of hazardous waste per month.
Paint must meet the following conditions to be accepted by PaintCare retailers:
- Water-based and oil-based house paint, stains and varnish. Visit PaintCare for a complete list of PaintCare program and non-program products.
- Original container that can be read
- Sealed, not leaking
- Not empty (dried latex okay)
- 5 gallons or less in size
PaintCare program brochure
PaintCare Large Volume Pick-Up factsheet Find out how the service works and how to request a pick-up.
PaintCare is a non-profit organization established by the American Coatings Association to implement California’s Paint Stewardship Law. PaintCare has set up more than 500 drop-off sites for postconsumer (leftover) paint at retailers and other sites throughout California.
Paint Calculator Take the guesswork out of buying paint.
Do you need paint for a home improvement project? Paint drop-off & pickup location at the Household Toxics Facility
Reusable paint collected at MendoRecycle must meet the following criteria:
- Latex paint only
- Paint must be in 5-gallon containers or smaller
- At least half-full cans
- Rust-free cans only
It is important not to mix paint products into one container. Latex paint products need to be in their original container with a readable label.
MendoRecycle's Recycled Paint Program
Paint collected for the reuse program is remixed into 5-gallon buckets in four standard colors: off-white, tan, light grey and light green. Recycled paint is given away for free to residents or businesses on a first come, first serve basis with a limit of 3, 5-gallons buckets.
For free paint, visit MendoRecycle at 3200 Taylor Drive, in Ukiah on Wednesdays from 8am-2pm. WHEN AVAILABLE....
Please check our EVENTS CALANDER for changes to our regular HHW collection and paint drop off schedule
During our Hazmobiles MendoRecycle has a paint disposal limit of 25 gallons per vehicle due to space availability.